AllGas Inc. offers complete industrial gas cylinder testing services. Hydrostatic testing is a way in which pressure vessels such as pipelines, plumbing, gas cylinders, boilers and fuel tanks can be tested for strength and leaks. The test involves filling the vessel or pipe system with a liquid, usually dyed water to aid in visual leak detection, and pressurization of the vessel to the specified test pressure. Testing Frequency: Most countries have legislation or building code that require pressure vessels to be regularly tested, for example, every two years (with a visual inspection annually) for high-pressure gas cylinders and every five or ten years for lower pressure ones such as what is used in fire extinguishers. Gas cylinders which fail are normally destroyed as part of the testing protocol to avoid the dangers inherent in them being subsequently used. These common gas cylinders have the following requirements:
- DOT-3AL gas cylinders must be tested every 5 years and have an unlimited life.
- DOT-3HT gas cylinders must be tested every 3 years and have a 24-year life.
- DOF-3AA gas cylinders must be tested every 5 years and have an unlimited life (Unless stamped with a star (*) in which case the cylinders meets certain specifications and can have a 10-year hydrostatic test life.)
Cylinders That Require Retesting:
- High Pressure Cylinders
- Carbon Dioxide Cylinders
- Medical Cylinders
- SCUBA Diving Tanks
- Breathing Air (SBCA)
- Fiber Constructed Cylinders (Commonly used by fire departments)
- Fire Fighter Packs
- Fiber Wrapped Aluminum Cylinders
- CO2 Fire Extinguishers (dry chemical extinguishers cannot be retested)
- Acetylene Cylinders
For Cylinder Retesting / Recertification Questions–Contact us Today.